Answers to Next Lines of Songs

(I have not bothered to list composers or those who supplied the words; in a few cases I have named the singer most associated with the song.)

1. And the waters as they flow
Seem to murmur soft and low
Nellie Dean

2. Peu m’importe si tu m’aimes
Je me fous du monde entier
Hymne à l’amour (Edith Piaf)

3. The Sons of the Prophet are hardy and bold, and quite unaccustomed to fear
And among the most reckless of those men of old was Abdul the Bul-Bul Emir
Ivan Skivinsky Skivar (Frank Crummett)

4. Though they said at the school of acting she was lovely as Peer Gynt
I think, on the whole, an ingénue role might emphasise her squint
Don’t Put Your Daughter on the Stage, Mrs Worthington (Noel Coward)

5. Though I am nothing to her, though she must rarely look at me
And though I could never woo her, I'll love her till I die
Silent Worship

6. Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day
Home on the Range

7. If you should chance to meet 'im, walking round the town

Shake 'im by 'is fat old hand and give 'im 'arf a crown
The Laughing Policeman (Charles Penrose)

8. Erreicht den Hof mit Müh und Not
In seinen Armen das Kind war tot
The Erl King

9. Our feelings we with difficulty smother
When constabulary duty’s to be done
A Policeman’s Lot is Not a Happy One

10. Venite all'agile, barchetta mia
Santa Lucia! Santa Lucia!
Santa Lucia

11. Confound their politics
Frustrate their knavish tricks
God Save the Queen

(If you didn't get this one right your application for asylum is refused: go back whence you came).

12. Hearts full of passion,
jealousy and hate
Woman needs man and man must have his mate
As Time Goes By

13. She stood on the bridge at midnight, dreaming of her blighted love
There’s a scream, a splash, Good ‘Eavens! What is she a-doin’ of?
She Was Poor, but She Was Honest

14. Here’s my definition, believe me dear brother
A fire on one end, a fool on the other
Cigareets and Whusky and Wild, Wild, Women

15. But I struck one chord of music
Like the sound of a great Amen
The Lost Chord

16. Oppressed so hard they could not stand
Let my people go
Go Down, Moses

17. Most blessèd, most glorious, the Ancient of Days
Almighty, victorious, Thy great Name we Praise
Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise
(Deduct two points—or ten points if you are in Holy Orders—if you thought it was Pavilion'd in splendour, and girded with praise: that’s in another hymn: Oh, Worship the King All Glorious Above)

18. But as soon as someone kisses me
I somehow, sorta, wanta kiss him back!
I Cain’t Say No

19. When I went out for nuts and a programme
The dirty dog stole her away
The Spaniard That Blighted My Life

20. If at those roses you ventured to sip
The colour might all come away on your lip
The Mountains of Mourne

21. If those lips could only speak and those eyes could only see
If those beautiful golden tresses were there in reality
Only a Beautiful Picture in a Beautiful Golden Frame

22. Last night as I lay on my pillow, last night as I lay on my bed
Last night as I lay on my pillow, I dreamed that my Bonnie was dead
My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean

23. And the devil will drag you under, by the sharp lapel of your checkered coat
Sit down, sit down, sit down, sit down
Sit Down, You’re Rocking the Boat

24. Down came a jumbuck to drink at the billabong
Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee.
Waltzing Matilda

25. Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer
We'll keep the red flag flying here
The Red Flag

Your score

Maximum is fifty; anyone who scored below twenty is less than forty-five years old, or has a poor memory for songs, or is not Anglophone, or has led a very quiet life.


(You can see and hear Piaf sing Hymne à l'Amour )

Back to Other Men's Flowers